December 16, 2008

Poor Mailbox

If you don't know it iced Sunday night here in Owasso and school was cancelled Monday and Tuesday. So on Monday, I stayed home all day and did "wife" things around the house. When Walt got home from work around 5:30 he asked me if I wanted to go with him to get gas. I didn't realize how bad the roads really were until I actually got out to see it for myself. We probably saw 5 cars just spinning in circles in the parking lot. I've only lived in Oklahoma for 2 and a half years and in this time we have had 4 ice storms. I guess I thought Oklahoma would be better equipped.... ha. After about an hour we were on our way home. Now, I must tell you that our house is located on a hill, so to get into our garage we have to go up. Our entire neighborhood looks like an ice skating rink, so we just kinda slid along and tried to have enough power so that we could just "skate" on up the hill. Well, Walt tried to turn the car to the right, but the ice just simply was not cooperating with us. And before I knew it "BAM" we ran completely over our mailbox. I shouldn't say "we".....I should say WALT. Gracie and I just sat there and then I busted out laughing. I guess you had to be there, but it really was the most hilarious thing I think I have ever experienced with Walt. The wind chill was -3 and it was freezing cold and we could not get our car back up into our garage. I knew that I was only riding with Walt so of course I was not wearing ANY shoes. "Walt, we have to get up into our garage! My feet are NOT touching the ground!" After several attempts we made it up to our garage, but needless to say our mailbox did not survive. What was so funny was that when I asked Walt how we were going to get our mail, (I mean COME ON....Christmas cards!!!) he then proceeded to tell me that hopefully they would just LAY OUR MAIL ON THE GROUND! Because that really is the smartest idea, right?! So, after we went inside and put on some warmer clothes, we went back outside to examine our damage:

Gracie decided she would take a little tinkle right where the accident happened...

Goodness, Walt did a great job of taking out the mailbox didn't he?? He never disappoints

R.I.P. Bass Mailbox May 2006-December 2008

Walt's face after he went out and really looked at what he accomplished. Word to the wise... this is NOT a face that you ever want to come in contact with....

What I found Walt doing after his first trip outside.....

Look closely...he's pouring himself some wine... always the remedy

Walt decided that he would try to "dig" the bottom portion out of the ground...only he lost his balance and was sliding down the driveway...

I think at this point I am telling him, "Walt... if the ground is frozen, how are you going to dig something up? Give up! It's too cold out here!"

Oh yes... he definitely succeeded in killing the mailbox

I know it looks like it just rained, but that isn't wet rain...that is ice.....

8 comments:

kinsey said...

hilarious!! and definitely jealous you are out of school again! it's white around here, but of course we had to be here on time...even though every district around us at least got a 2 hour delay. boooo.

enjoy your day!

the spicer blog said...

Glad you are off too- Girl! I LOVE my blog- you are amazing, I'm adding your family too because you Walt, and Gracie are hilarious! Now send me your address, so I can pay you! Thanks a million!

Joe, Jenn, Nathan, and William said...

ha! we got ice too and we were off yesterday-it is amazing how oblivious you are to what is going on outside on snow/ice days! Good luck on getting your mail! Maybe I'll run into you next week-we will be in Oklahoma! :)

Emily said...

we have the exact same mailboxes and well our neighbors got hit on sunday night! our roads were soo terrible too, in jenks and I didnt make it to work yesterday bec the roads were way too bad! I love your wrapping pics... my hubby was laying on the couch with our dog too on sunday, while I wrapped about 35 gifts:)

Graham said...

Too funny! I love the photos! Poor Walt! And of course you were not wearing shoes!

Unknown said...

I found your blog from Kelly's Prayer List that I am on with you. I had to comment, because I just had the best laugh over this post!! Thanks for sharing. I hope you are able to get your Christmas cards. My suggestion is some duck tape. (Can you tell I am from the south?). Just kidding! Praying for you!

Colby Ranae said...

great story, and so many great pics. hope you and the fam have the Merriest Christmas!! Blessings! c

amy (metz) walker said...

Ok, this is so hilarious. Totally something I could see happening in our family...

If it's ok, I'm adding you to my blogroll!