December 15, 2008

It's been a "Chili" day!

No, that wasn't a typo...since I did not have school today I decided I would make some super yummy, slow cooker, turkey chili. This is so easy to make... so easy that you could pretty much do everything in about 15 minutes, which is perfect, because then you can set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours and go off to work. When you come home, the smell will make you weak at the knees!! Oh goodness it is oh so good and I decided that I would share!

Here are the suspects for this meal, except, the corn is missing.... sorry!

1 1/4 pounds of turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove minced
1 1/2 c. frozen corn
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 package chili seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt

I've invested in a chop wizard. Yes, I got it off an infomercial... and surprisingly enough it is one of the greatest things I have ever purchased! It saves SOOO much time. See here, I cut the onion in half, placed in on the chopped wizard:

Pushed down... and Voila! This is what happened.. it is as easy as that!

So you take the turkey, onion and the garlic, cook the ingredients until the turkey starts to crumble. Drain the mixture, unless you want that fatty stuff, and place it in the bottom of your slow cooker: While the turkey was browning, I took my two bell peppers:

And you can either chop them up very fine, or if you have the chop wizard like me, in a matter of seconds, you have this:

Then take your frozen corn place into the slow cooker

Pour in the bell peppers... this is starting to look so rich in color!! My mother in law has always told me that food should look vibrant in color.. and this chili recipe does just that!

Mix everything in nicely:

After that, mix in the tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes, stir around nicely

Pour in those DRAINED and RINSED black beans

Add the chili seasoning to it, (I also add some jalapenos and red pepper, this is because Walt and I like things H-O-T!

Give it another stir... oh doesn't it look good.. and it has taken me longer to write this post than to make the chili!

Set your timer on low for 8 hours, or high for 4

Now, if you work... you are off and when you come home your husband will surely thank you for spending so much time on dinner. If you stay at home, or if you have an ice day, grab yourself some coffee (it is early)

Curl up by the fire with your favorite day time partner

You've just made a fabulous "winter" meal in minutes! Don't tell your husband though, you want him to think you worked all day on this!! I know mine will thank me after he eats two or three servings of this hearty chili!

1 comments:

Padoodie's mom said...

I just bought the chop wizard all because of your blog...lol. I haven't used it yet, but I am so excited!