August 31, 2008

Last "Unofficial" Weekend of Summer

I love summer, but the longer I live in Oklahoma, the more I LOVE autumn. Now don't get me wrong, I will ALWAYS be a summer fan.... beach, sun, swimsuits, no school, long days, the smell of freshly mowed grass, sno cones, swimming, fire-flies...I love it all, BUT I would have never guessed that moving only 4 hours north, I would actually experience the 4 seasons.

I love autumn here in Oklahoma. I love that very first day when you wake up in the morning and it's cool....not cold, not hot..you can wear a t-shirt with jeans and feel good....you don't have the sweaty, nasty legs after you take your jeans off. You can get up in the morning and go for a run and it just feels nice. I love the way the air smells, the leaves crunching under your feet, decorating pumpkins, watching the trees change colors....gorgeous colors, football games, (even though we never win), hot cocoa with so many marshmallows the cup is over-flowing, being able to turn the fire place on at night, because it is just a little chilly. I love fall food... pies, turkey, warm soup, apple cider. I love being outside at night and wrapping up in a blanket because it is cool. I am NOT the type of person to normally enjoy this stuff, but the older I get, the more I appreciate God's beautiful, beautiful masterpiece.
So, since this weekend is the last "unofficial" weekend of summer, I had to get out all my autumn decorations. Believe me I didn't just come up with this idea, I've been doing this since college...it's a tradition. I decorate for autumn the last weekend in August, then once October 1st hits...Halloween comes out. November 1st is Thanksgiving time and the weekend before I leave to go home for Thanksgiving, Christmas goes up. I absolutely LOVE decorating my house. So for now my house is decorated for autumn and I cannot WAIT until I wake up one morning very soon, and smell that familiar smell that makes me think of FALL!
Psalm 95:2-5 " Let us come before him with thanksgiving. Let us sing him psalms of praise. For the LORD is a great God, the great King above all gods. He owns the depths of the earth, and even the mightiest mountains are his. His hands formed the dry land, too."

2 comments:

mjilliancooper said...

your house looks great- i just got all of my fall decorations out today too!!! glad to know my mother and i are not the only ocd decorators. haha

Jenny M said...

Everything looks great! I am starting to decorate my house this week too!!!