July 22, 2009

Summer Reading

who doesn't love summer? i.love.summer. and for many, many reasons. i guess it is a great thing that i do have a job where i still get paid in the summer even though there might be some days that i sit around on my bah-donk-a-donk all day long. one of the reasons i love summer so much is that i get to catch up on my reading. normally i try to read children's chapter books that I am not familiar with, but this year i decided i would take some time out to read books that would interest me on a higher level. i've already told you that i did indeed get sucked in with mostly everyone else (except for my sister poco) and read the twilight series. let me be honest with you. this series was not a series that i was "crazy" about, at least i thought i wasn't crazy about it. but, i guess you are crazy about a book when you look down and have read 300 pages, or you actually dream about the book at night...would that constitute as being crazy about the book? i am not at all in love with vampires, nor will i ever be, but i just could not put these books down...any of them. i was so addicted that i had to go out and buy 2 books while i was in london because i had to see what happened next. so...i would definitely suggest to anyone to read the twilight series.
i have also read my sister's keeper. my little sister and i decided that we would read this at the same time and then go to the movies and see it. let me tell you this....the book is SO much better than the movie. oh my gosh, i can't even tell you how much better the book is. the movie doesn't even follow the book. but, you always know that is going to happen when you turn a book into a movie. now don't get me wrong, the movie was good, if you like crying and i actually walked out and just hugged poco because i wanted her to know that i was so glad she is my sister. but i do recommend this book also. it is an easy read, and each chapter is told from the view point of another character. if you haven't seen the movie, get the book and read it first, and then watch the movie on dvd. if you can't tell i love comparing books to movies...guess that's why i am a reading teacher???


now the last books that i have read have been out for quite sometime, but i was slow to get on the reading wagon. i would like to attribute it to the fact that last year i was reading children's chapter books. ha. they are the books by emily giffin. something borrowed, something blue, baby proof and love the one you're with. i gosh, now talk about not being able to put these books down! i couldn't do it. i made two trips to target in two days to buy the last books. my favorites would have to be something borrowed and something blue....darcy and rachel's relationship was just classic and i found myself reading every chance i got to see what would happen with their friendship. the end of the first book i seriously let out a "oh no, you didn't". i also loved the other two books, don't get me wrong, i finished both of those within two days. so if you haven't read these two books...buy them, or go to the public library and check them out. i also heard from my bff, katie, that the first two books are in talks of being turned into movies...get excited! hopefully i can compare those to the movies also soon. let me warn you though...if you don't love gossip, or if you don't love soap operas, you probably won't love these books. of course i am all about drama though, so these books were perfect for me.








4 comments:

The Holmans said...

GIRL!!! Let me just tell you that I read "Something Borrowed" while on vacation last year... I was literally sitting by the pool gasping, and saying "oh my gosh..." "no way" - Blake kept asking me what was going on - i had to fill him in on the entire book while i was reading it! haha - he is not one for soap opreas....so he thought it was trashy - but i dont care....i LOVED it! I will definitely be picking up the others for this summer's trip! So fun!

Laura said...

Meredith, have you ever ready any of Karen Kingsbury's books? She is a christian contemporary author who is incredible. I would recommend starting with her Redemption series. There are five books in that series. Redemption is the name of the first, then Remember, Return, Rejoice and Reunion. Hope you are having a good summer.

Leslie said...

I'm Leslie, and I enjoy reading your blog. I was also addicted to the Twilight series and could not put it down. At first, my sister in law gave them to me to read, and I thought okay whatever... I'll read the first few chapters and tell her I just can't get into it... BOY was I in for it. I COULDN'T PUT THEM DOWN!! Thank you for the book suggestions. I almost bought the something borrowed - Something Blue books and decided not to b/c I wasn't sure. Now I will definitely go and get them. I've really been trying to find a good book to read.

kinsey said...

LOVED my sister's keeper. read it last summer and just cried and cried through the whole thing. can't bring myself to see the movie yet though. i already cry at everything so i'm afraid i'd be a MESS. might be one that we rent once this baby is out of my belly ;-)