October 10, 2009

Q & A session

I've had quite a few questions that people have been asking me, so I figured I would take some time to answer the questions.

Before I answer the questions...let me fill you in on something. On Tuesday, when Walt and I went to the doctor to find out for sure what we were having, we had a different doctor. My doctor was on maternity leave. As she was looking around she all of a sudden said, "Oh yes, it's a girl...there's her HAMBURGER." I just about fell out of my chair when she said this...then she added, "There's two buns and her meat." Am I the only one that would have been grossed out by this? Walt's mouth fell open, and then the second she left, he started dying laughing. Needless to say, the next morning while I was at work, I got a text that said, "hamburger" just from Walt.


1. Are you going to keep working?
Yes. I love my job, I love what I do. I know that after having a child things will change, and I will experience a love that I have never experienced before, but Walt and I feel that working for a couple more years would be best for our family. When we have our second child, then we will revisit the situation and see what would work out best for us.

2. Were you and Walt trying for a long time?
Walt and I actually were trying for an extremely long time. After much frustration, we went to see a fertility doctor. Some tests were done, and I had surgery last February to remove some things, and the doctors came to the conclusion that we would be better off going through artificial insemination. Our first round didn't work, but after our second, we were pregnant!

3. Have you had any cravings?
Well....only one actually. I am completely obsessed with the double stuff oreo cookies (Halloween Edition) I don't know what it is about the orange icing in the middle, but I am totally addicted. This is a double edged sword...good for me because it taste so wonderful, but bad for my body, because I think this is the thing that is adding the pounds!

4. Did you have morning sickness?
Oh goodness, did I ever! My sickness started right at 6 weeks, and lasted until I was 13 weeks. I was sick all day long. I never actually threw up, but I had the horrible, I have to and I can't feeling and it lasted all day. I went through 5 big boxes of Saltine crackers. I am so thankful that this took place during the summer and I was able to lay around ALL day!

5. What do you think is going to happen with Gracie?
Honestly, I think Gracie will be fine. Walt and I are actually going to buy baby furniture today, and we are going to purchase a baby doll. This baby doll will hopefully cry, and have the scent of a newborn (you know that awesome baby powder smell) I am going to start holding on to the doll when I get home from work while I am sitting on the couch. This will give Gracie the opportunity to smell her, and experience me paying attention to someone else. As crazy as this sounds, we think this will be best for her. Gracie is a jealous dog, but she is jealous of OTHER dogs....she's never been jealous of people, and she has always been great around kids.

6. Do you still fit into your clothes?
Yes and No. My jeans and pants don't technically button, but I have started wearing a BellaBand, and it is the greatest thing ever. I have the band in black and white and I pretty much wear it with everything. I know there will be a point in the near future where I won't be able to fit my thighs into my pants, and then my BellaBand will no longer be helpful.

7. How much weight have you gained already?
Well the first trimester I actually lost weight because I was so sick. I remember thinking silently in my head, "YES." But...that time has since passed. When I went in for my 4 month check up, I had already gained 4 pounds... FOUR pounds, that's one pound a week...and now that I went in for my 5 month check up I have gained 5 pounds. So I am right at 10 pounds. And according to what I've been reading I should expect to gain at least a pound a week from here on out. Oh yes, you better believe that I am power walking every single day. :)

8. What's the one thing that has bothered you with pregnancy?
This is an easy question. I have been SO annoyed with the people (who are trying to be sweet) that look at me and say, "What? You can't even tell that you are pregnant!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? What are you saying that I am normally this large and in charge from the side? I mean seriously? I have never before in my life had a protruding stomach, but you look at me and tell me that you can't tell that I am pregnant? This has bothered me so much. If you can't look at me and tell me that you KNOW I am pregnant, then you are basically telling me that I have one HUGE beer belly! :)

9. How did Walt handle the fact that he is having a girl?
Well, first off, Walt and I would have been ecstatic with either. BUT....a girl is what Walt wanted all along. Let me put this in his exact quotes, "I want it to be just me and my three girls. You, Gracie and Eloise." Walt loves being the odd man out and I think he is going to be the most amazing dad. This little girl already has Walt wrapped around his finger. He talks to my belly every single day, at least 2 or 3 times a day.

10. Will you and Walt still travel?
We hope to. Walt and I are obviously aware that our "world" traveling is going to be put on the back burner for a while, but we want to be parents that still live our life. Traveling 4 hours to see family in Daingerfield or Dallas should not be a big deal. Walt and I have talked about exposing our child to the world at a very young age, so I think once Eloise starts talking and walking, we might possibly schedule another European vacation. Traveling is what Walt loves to do, and I want our child to have the same passion that her dad has.

3 comments:

kinsey said...

1. i had never bought double stuffed oreos on regular grocery shopping trips UNTIL i was pregnant. SO GOOD and i was so sad to eat that last one before i had hank, because i haven't let myself buy them anymore :-(

2. gracie will be great!

3. yes, traveling is SO doable! hank is only 5 weeks old and has already been to waco (day trip), tioga (all weekend for a wedding) and gladewater--to the lakehouse. we are heading to lubbock (6 hour drive!) on thursday!

loved all the questions and answers! so excited for eloise to make her debut :-)

Laura said...

Hi Merideth and Walt -- When both Sarah and Matt were 6 or 7 weeks old, we traveled to MN with them, which is a 12 hour drive. They both did great at the time. Traveling just changes to a baby's schedule and when they need to eat, etc. But because we have always made this "long" drive with them, they are good little travelers that way.

And I have to say, Eloise is such a cute name. It is old-fashioned but I love family names and reading this blog and her name it, just seems so perfect!

Continue to stay healthy and enjoy the pregnancy. It's such an amazing time in life.

Walt -- my husband would talk to the kids all the time while I was pregnant. Steve would even read Proverbs to the baby and change things to she/her/daughter, etc.

thanks for keeping us updated!

Momma said...

The bed is up and I expect to see both Ellie B and Claire on a regular basis! I'm so excited!