December 2, 2009

This had to have been worse than labor....

The following post will not contain any pictures, just a written post about my week thus far.

I woke up Saturday morning with a horrible toothache. Throughout the day it just kept getting worse. I felt a horrible pain where I had previously had a root canal and a crown put on about 2 years ago.

Sunday I woke up and I could not stand the pain. I literally thought I was going to shoot myself in the head, the pain was so extreme.
By Sunday night, I had called in for a sub, which is something I never do...especially after something like Thanksgiving break.

Monday morning I went to the dentist at 8. They took me in immediately and then proceeded to look at what was causing so much pain. Turns out, when I had my root canal 2 years ago the dentist fixed three canals....I, of course, am a freak and have four canals on my last tooth on the upper right side. I had a major infection and needed it fixed asap.
So the dentist sent me HOME and told me that she had scheduled an appointment with an Endodontist at 2.
All I could keep thinking was, WHAT IN THE WORLD?? 2 o'clock? You have GOT to be freaking kidding me. I knew I couldn't wait that long.

So I went home and tried to sleep, since I hadn't slept the night before....of course, I didn't sleep at all. The pain was so severe. I couldn't lay on my back, because then all the pain rushed to my head, if I turned to the right, it was so much pressure on my right side..and so on and so forth..

Finally after what seemed like hours, 1:30 rolled around. I jumped in my car and headed to the doctor. After filling out some paper work, they got me right in. Hmm....the worst was yet to come.
I am 7 months pregnant....I had to get approval from my doctor that I could have some sort of pain meds to numb me during the process.
Guess what?
They couldn't get a hold of my doctor. Not at all. Nothing. I'm talking...they called and she was not there. ( thank goodness I LOVE my doctor and I have forgiven her now.)
So...all the doctor could do was give me the numbing medicine that would numb me for about 10 minutes.
The first 10 minutes felt like heaven. I hadn't felt that great in quite a long time. I'm talking, I wanted to bust out with Aretha Franklin's You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman.
Oh goodness... I got too excited too soon.
After 10 minutes, right when the doc. started DRILLING on my tooth, and using all those horrible tools that make you smell that awful burnt smell...I started to feel everything. EVERYTHING. There was nothing he could do about it, since he did not get the OK from my doc. I had to sit there and endure the pain... and OH THE PAIN. I had tears falling from my face, I was screaming, it was like a horror film.
After he was done, I went home, body still in shock, and the pain was just as awful Monday night.
Thankfully I finally did get a hold of my doctor and I was able to get a prescription filled for an antibiotic. It took about 12 hours for the antibiotic to work...but it started working. I slept Tuesday until 11, which I never do, and when I woke up...I felt amazing.
This was quite the experience.... but I know that if I can handle a root canal, with practically NO MEDICATION...don't you think I can handle labor WITH an epidural? Bring it on Eloise.. I am ready!!

4 comments:

Alison said...

Oh my gosh you poor thing! I was sitting here cringing the entire time. I can't even imagine what that must have been like. :(

Our Happy Married Life... said...

wow! I once had a tooth filled with no numbing b/c I thought I could handle it. Never again. There's something about tools and noises and stuff in your mouth that just requires pain meds. I can't even imagine what you went through.

Graham said...

I am so sorry dear! Love you!

Elizabeth said...

long time "stalker" - had to comment! OH.MY.GOSH!! what a HORRIBLE experience. I have had a root canal - and it started wearing off 1/2 way through (which was horrible) but they immediately shot me with more pain meds. so - YES. way worse than labor (I think). Plus - with labor, you get a baby!!! feel better!