April 29, 2011

A change....

Obviously the Bass family has gone through some major changes over the past couple of weeks. Adding a new precious love into the mix makes things hectic and wonderful all at the same time. We've also added another huge change that has taken me some time to grasp. Over the past 7 years all I have ever known is teaching. It's what I'm good at. It's where I feel the most comfortable. However, after Walt and I learned that we were expecting another miracle we knew that it wouldn't really be in the best interest of our family for me to continue working full time. I had planned to work part-time, but with all the budget cuts that Katy ISD has had to do, that plan fell through. So...after a lot of praying, many conversations, and knowing that my family is my number one priority Walt and I decided that it would be best for me to stay at home. While I am so excited about this opportunity, I am also scared. How blessed am I to be able to be with my two little ones every day? Temporarily leaving the teaching profession has been hard to come to grips with. I don't think it would be so hard, if I wasn't leaving such an incredible group of teachers. I LOVE my team. They have been there for me when my family was far away. God has truly blessed me with their friendships. Am I still going to hang out with these girls, yes. But...not being able to see them everyday...it hurts. While watching The Office last night, Michael Scott said it best, " The people you work with....well, they become your best friends." And that is exactly what they have become to me. Of course I will miss the kids, and all the creativity that comes with teaching...I will miss them dearly. But, I am so extremely thankful that I am in the situation to where I can watch my babies grow every single and not miss an instant. This is going to be a new challenge for me. But...how can you not be happy knowing that you get to spend the day with these two precious babies?

10 comments:

kinsey said...

congrats!!

Trina said...

They are adorable. Your oldest is about the same age a my daughter and we have just started talking about having another. I can't believe you already have 2! You are amazing. I hope you thoroughly enjoy staying home with them!

Erin said...

Wonderful news! Envious in many ways! My mom has always said that she has never heard a woman regret spending more time with her kids...but often the opposite. :-)

Brandi said...

I too felt the same way as you when I quit teaching while preggers with my 3rd baby. NOW, I never look back. LOVE being home with my kids!!!! And, I honestly don't ever want to go back!! Congrats!!!!!! Your girls are presh!!!!!

Stephanie said...

I have so many wonderful, encouraging things to tell you about staying home with your babies but it is nap time and I must get stuff done ( like cleaning the house!). You will be such a blessing to your family, in ways you can't even imagine. I love that your beautiful girls have such a hardworking and selfless mother. And I love that you share so much with us through you great blog. Xoxo, s

Katie said...

Meredith--as soon as I saw the title of your post, I totally knew what you were going to say. :) I've been wondering if you were going to stay home with your 2 little ones. I felt the same way when I quit teaching, but this year has been absolutely wonderful. You will love being home. There are times when I think about stuff I'd be teaching right now, and I miss it. Teaching will always be a part of us, and we can always go back. I totally want to go back when my girls are older. It's such a sweet time to be home with them though. I know you'll love it. I wish you lived closer and we coudl have playdates. :) Congratulations on your beautiful Emerson!

John and Kari said...

First off... CONGRATS on another beautiful baby girl!!

Secondly...Oh, I'm so excited for you and jealous of you at the same time! I wish we could work it out so I could stay home with our boys. But I can't complain because they get to spend LOTS of time with their Daddy (John only works 2 out of every 8 days). So the boys will rarely go to the sitter. I would rather them be with one of us! This arrangement allows John and I to have jobs that we absolutely love and spend time as a family.
Again... I am VERY happy for you!!
By the way... Emerson looks like her Daddy in this picture.

JoDee said...

Meredith I so understand where you're coming from. It is going to be an adjustment for sure, but I KNOW you'll be happy with your decision! I honestly have a moment (or two, or three!) every single day where I have to stop and thank God for allowing me to spend so much time with my son. It's the best thing ever. I will return to teaching one day, and I'm sure I'll miss these days with my little one much more than I ever missed teaching to stay at home! Love every minute!

Graham said...

They are so beautiful! I love you and miss you tons! You will make a great "stay at home Mommy"!

Becca said...

After starting my own business and doing it for 5 years...I decided to try taking a year off in January and staying at home. I handed the reigns over to my sister full time. It was a tough decision because I am a "busy" person. There are times that I still think I am crazy for not working, but I haven't regretted it for a second. I am very blessed that God has given us enough in our life that I am able to stay home. I always knew I would regret it if I didn't try. You will love it...it just takes some adjusting!